International Expect Success Month –
What does success mean for you?
Did you know that International Expect Success month has been observed in the month of February, since 2003?
The celebration was initiated by Karla Brandau who is president of a company specialising in personal empowerment. She wants to encourage people to look deep within themselves to find their hidden success elements, and develop those attributes.
Success is different for everyone, and for me, this month is a good excuse to remind everyone of that
In business we tend to impose a judgemental view of success, by seeing success as a matter of how much money you make, and your turnover if you are in business. This often disempowers many solo preneurs, especially women who feel diminished by this false parameter.
For example, for some, success is all about money, the size of business, turnover, having multiple offices, millions of pounds, material goods, such as a big house, big car and big bank account.
Whereas for others, it’s about a mission, a campaign, a charity, and helping others – things that can appear less materialistic.
In my case, and many others, it’s about having a great life, an income to be able to do that; it’s about doing something we love for the people we love, which gives us joy every day.
For the latter, it’s often called a ‘lifeystyle’ business or even a ‘hobby’. It’s not. That’s utter BS. These business owners tend to work very hard, can work long hours and unsocialable hours to allow their time off, their hobby or around their other life commitments and choices.
If you look at the definition of the word ‘success’ it means: the accomplishment of an aim or purpose. There is no mention of a hierarchy of success in its basic meaning.
This takes the idea of expecting success back to Karla Brandau’s desire to encourage people to develop their own skills and beliefs to build success.
One thing I know for sure, doing nothing will never lead to success. You cannot manifest or create anything by doing nothing. To cheer you on and hopefully inspire you here’s some food for thought.
Ten quotes about success by ‘successful’ people
- Action is the foundational key to all success – Pablo Picasso, Artist
- You can’t wait for inspiration – you have to go after it with a club – Jack London, writer
- “I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.” — Maya Angelou, writer
- “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” — Eleanor Roosevelt, former First Lady, USA.
- “Always concentrate on how far you have come, rather than how far you have left to go. The difference in how easy it seems will amaze you.” — Heidi Johnson, writer
- “Every problem is a gift—without problems we would not grow.” – Tony Robbins, life and business strategist
- “Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.” – Albert Schweitzer, theologian
- “There’s no shortage of remarkable ideas, what’s missing is the will to execute them.” – Seth Godin, business writer & guru
- “Take risks. Failure is a stepping stone to success.” Arianna Huffington, co-founder of The Huffington Post
- “When you undervalue what you do, the world will undervalue who you are,”
Oprah Winfrey, talk show host, producer, and philanthropist
Next week’s blog: February is the month of love, but